I got to know Jean-Louis Huhta's music quite some time before I became his friend. My first time in Stockholm, I played a wonderful venue called Strand, whose owner Connie greeted me with a handful of CDs he'd released on his label, Slottet. Jean-Louis' CD was among them, and it spoke to me rather immediately. Later, when I returned to Stockholm, I would meet the man whose music I'd already become so intimate with, and almost immediately feel close to him, as if we'd known each other for years. Maybe this is because I liked the music so much, and unconsciously bestowed the grace, honesty, and thoughtfulness of the songs onto the person. Or maybe it's because I secretly want to believe that only a person who possesses these qualities can make such music. Or maybe it's because Jean-Louis, like is music, is immediately approachable, a bit strange (in the best possible way), but still basically simple and good. I don't know the answer to this question, but in the years that have passed since I started listening to Jean-Louis' sounds and knowing him personally, Obsolete Media Objects has released two of his tapes, and the two of us have actually recorded two full albums together, which we hope to release in the next year under the name Ways to Walk.
from For Only You and Everyone (2nd season),
track released November 30, 2012
1. Below Me - Tenderness, "The Axe is Ready at the Tree" (2011)
2. Danger Remix - Wick-it the Instigator, "Visions & Revisions: C.J. Boyd Remixed" (2005)
3. The Gates - Doby Watson, "End Of The Day" (OMO 2012)
4. Nyoka Musango - Lora Chirorah-Dye And Sukutai, "Safarini In Transit - Music Of African Immigrants" (2000)
5. Six Dreams/Divided - Create (!), "A Prospect Of Freedom" (2006)
6. Lateral Movement - Corsic, "Farralons" (2011)
7. Keep up your Spirits - Susurrus Station, "Antinomie" (2012)
8. Vevor Of Agassou - The Lichens, "Omns" (2007)
OMO is a label focusing on stunning physical media. Although Mp3s are available here, every release is a
tangible object which we hope will enhance the experience of the music. These albums are meant to live on tape, or vinyl, or book, or pez dispenser, or something we hope will be as aesthetically stimulating as the music it conveys.
Coming soon: OMO053 - hollowbodies OMO055 - Big Bill Broonzy...more