I met Chris in 2005, when I happened to be on a bill with his band, I Heart Lung, as well as Castanets. It was in El Paso. The show was incredible, all around, except for the almost entire lack of audience. But it didn't even matter. I was so blown away. Chris and I traded some CDs, and he told me to send him my next solo album, which I was still being mastered at the time. I sent it to him when it was done, and he called me, saying he wanted to release it on his label Sounds Are Active. This was my minor label debut, since at that point I had only released CDRs on my own. Since that time, Chris and I have collaborated a number of times, both live and on records. We released a duo live album last year called "Open", and I played on his album "Psychic Temple", and I'm hoping to release a studio album we did later this year. I love Chris and his music, and count myself lucky to call him a good friend and musical collaborator. On this mix, I've tried to compile songs than speak to Chris' particular mix of sensibilities. It's a strange mix, I think. But Chris is a strange dude, and as Baudelaire said, “The Beautiful is always strange."
from For Only You and Everyone (1st season),
track released March 15, 2012
1. Song Meat - Subtle, "A New White" (2004)
2. A spire - Tape, "Rideau" (2005)
3. It's All Right To Cry - Rosey Grier, "Free To Be...You And Me" (1972)
4. Oh, Be Unliving - The Roots Of Orchis, "Empty Lands Ahead and Behind" (2010)
5. handover - your bones, "delicate ankles" (OMO 2012)
6. Infinite Point - The Riderless, "Atelier Gild" (2011)
7. Put In Music This Ballad For Me - Michelle McAdorey And Eric Chenaux, "Love Don't Change" (2003)
8. Thoughts of Youth remix - Ellul, "Visions & Revisions: C.J. Boyd Remixed" (OMO 2009)
9. Inconsistency Principle - The Drift, "Noumena" (2005)
OMO is a label focusing on stunning physical media. Although Mp3s are available here, every release is a
tangible object which we hope will enhance the experience of the music. These albums are meant to live on tape, or vinyl, or book, or pez dispenser, or something we hope will be as aesthetically stimulating as the music it conveys.
Coming soon: OMO053 - hollowbodies OMO055 - Big Bill Broonzy...more